Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

The Epiphany

It is very easy to forget what it feels like as a student.  Educators can research, theorize, and consequently blog (guilty) about best practice classrooms.  We can get on our pulpit and preach that things must change.  But do we truly know what it feels like for a student to sit in a classroom on a daily basis?  One of the bullet points in the current education movement is "teachers should be learners".  Makes sense, right?  Because best practice says teachers should "model" learning.  But are we truly learning along with our students?

This summer, I decided to pursue a personal interest.  Photography.  I received a fancy-pants DSLR Nikon camera for Christmas, and I came to the conclusion that Pinterest wasn't giving me enough instruction.  I needed an expert.  After browsing the community college's website, I came across a 3-week photography class.  Every Wednesday night, I now go to class, camera in tow.  We learn about the functions of the camera, and we see examples.  We are given ungraded assignments.  I look forward to these assignments each week.  I can't wait to try what I learned.  When I return to class, we sit as a group, and our instructor gives us feedback.  He even says, "If you don't get a chance to do the assignment, please still come to class!"  He actually looks for students who struggled and failed at portions of the assignment.  He says this is the best way to learn.  We are given creative freedom with no consequences for failing other than constructive feedback.  Lots of constructive feedback.  I smile as I leave class each Wednesday because I truly feel myself learning and growing.

Let's review.
  1. I chose the topic to learn about because I found it interesting.
  2. We are given practice assignments, with flexibility.
  3. I practice every free second I can during the week.
  4. Feedback is given every time.
  5. Failure is okay, and it is actually beneficial to the learning process.
  6. I look forward to going back to class.
This past Wednesday, as I was sitting in class learning about some of the more technical functions of a camera, I had an epiphany.

What if the instructor gave me a test on these multiple new terms and their function during the following week?  Would I still enjoy this photography class as much if I was expected to memorize everything I learned for a test?

My immediate reaction to my thoughts resulted in a pit in my stomach.  UGH.  I would hate coming to class knowing the instructor expected me to memorize and learn every single thing he taught the prior week.  I would not waste my time learning something new if that were the case.  I would stick with Pinterest.

Now here comes the epiphany.  This is what is happening in our classrooms.  It took me to become a student to truly come to understand the disservice we are doing to our future generations.  Sure, I have been a student in the past year while completing my Masters Degree, but that took place in a traditional classroom setting.  I stressed out each week rushing to read school law cases so I was prepared when the professor would randomly call on me.  I stuck my nose in the book to get that elusive "A" on the pop quiz.  I rushed before class to skim the Plain Dealer because we would get extra credit if we could contribute a current event to class.  I personally love the news, but I didn't enjoy learning about the news when I felt pressured.

I am now a student in a classroom where I enjoy what I am learning, and I am motivated to pursue the learning outside the classroom.  Reason being, I am interested in the content, and I see value in the learning.  The contrast of my experience as a student in both settings has given me a glaring realization.  With the interest-based class model with constructive and descriptive feedback, I was motivated to create these images with trial and error as my trusty sidekick husband gave me feedback (and constructed my tripod).





Why would our students want to learn when the result is a letter on a test...sometimes a sticker if they are lucky.  If the purpose of school is to promote learning, then we must structure the classrooms where learning is something to get excited about.  We must have serious discussion about the methods we use to assess students.  We must rethink how we structure curriculum.  We must begin to really take note of students' interests.  We must not ignore the obvious, and we must begin to take steps to change the culture of the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment